|Information on Buddhist Pilgrimages
|Buddhist temples of East :|
1. Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh):
Nearest Airport: Lilabari- 67 Kms
Railway Station: Harmutty- 40 Kms.
2. Bodhgaya (Bihar):
Most holy centre for Buddhists.
Nearest Airport: Gaya- 5 Kms.
Railway Station: Gaya- 5 Kms.
3. Enchey (Gangtok): Festivals held at Buddhist Monastery.
4. Rumtek (24 Kms from Gangtok): Festival held annually.
5. Pemayangtse (137 Kms from Gangtok):
Pilgrim centre attracting Buddhists for 2 - day dance festival in February.
6. Tashiding Monastery (reached by a trek):
Buddhist shrine containing sacred pot of holy water.
Nearest Airport:Bagdogra-124 Km from Gangtok.
Railway Station:Siliguri-114 Km from Gangtok.
Buddhist monastery associated with Guru Padmasambhava.
Nearest Airport: Leh
Railway Station: Jammu- 739 Kms.
2. Kushinagar (Kasia) - (Uttar Pradesh):
Spot where Bhagwan Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana.
Nearest Airport: Gorakhpur- 53 Km
Railway Station: Gorakhpur- 53 Km
3. Sankasia (Uttar Pradesh):
Spot where Bhagwan Buddha descended after preaching to his mother in heaven.
Nearest Airport: Agra - 141 Km
Railway Station: Pakhna - 11 Km
4. Sarnath (Uttar Pradesh):
Where Bhagwan Buddha preached his first sermon.
Nearest Airport: Varanasi- 10 Km
Railway Station: Varanasi- 10 Km
5. Sravasti (Saheth-Maheth):
Centre known for one of the miracles of Bhagwan Buddha.
Nearest Airport: Gorakhpur
Railway Station: Balrampur- 29 Km.
6. Sanchi (Madhya Pradesh):
Ancient Buddhist Centre and new Buddhist Vihara.
Nearest Airport: Bhopal- 46 Km
Railway Station: Sanchi Bhopal- 46 Km.