Anandpur Sahib is situated in the Rupnagar district of Punjab, this place is also known as the "holy city of bliss". Anandpur Sahib is also popularly known as takht Sri Keshgaarh Sahib. This Gurdwara is located on the spurs of the great Himalayas that are surrounded by all the picture sequence beauty. Anandpur Sahib is considered as the second most important and sacred city for Sikhs after Amritsar.
Anandpur Sahib is established in the year 1655 by Guru Tegh Bahadur ninth guru of the Sikhs, close to the ruins of the Makhowal ancient palace. He named it after his mother's name that is the chak Nanki. Legend says that Guru Gobind Singh has spent 25 years of his life in Anandpur Sahib. Guru Tegh Bahadur had purchased his piece of land from the ruler of Bilaspur during that time in just 500 rupees. It is believed that the first foundation stone of this city was laid on 30th March 1689.
The Takht sahib is a square hall that has a balcony in front; you have a look at the spacious courtyard that is on the lower level. At the centre of the dome there is a room where some weapons are preserved and considered as sacred.
Festival of Anandpur Sahib
Holla Mohalla festival is celebrated with great fervor here. This city comes to life for this grand festival. There are thousands of devotees who make a note to visit this place during this festival. Sikhs from all over India come to this place just to celebrate this festival with great enthusiasm and joy. This festival is celebrated for 3 days. On this auspicious occasion the Gurdwara is specially decorated with lighting and flower decoration.
There are some important Gurdwara in Anandpur Sahib:
- Gurdwara Guru-Ka-Mahal: this is also known as the Bhora Sahib and is the residence for Guru Tegh Bahadur that is inherited by Guru Gobind Singh. The holy son of the 10th guru was born here. In this Gurdwara there is an underground room that cuts off from the noise of the surrounding. This is the place where the 9th guru used to meditate.
- Gurdwara Thara Sahib: in this Gurdwara the 9th guru used to deliver lecture from the platform that is raised high.
- Gurdwara–Ka-Lahore: it is located just 11 kilometers away from Anandpur Sahib- Ganguwal. This is a route that leads to the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. This is the Gurdwara where the wedding ceremony of 10th guru with mata Jito ji is celebrated.
- Gurdwara Takht Sri Keshgaarh Sahib: This is the birth place of Khalsa he was born on the 30th March 1699. On this day Guru Gobind Singh baptized 5 of his Sikhs with the sweentened water, he stirred this water with his Khanda and called them the five who were beloved to Guru and named as the 'Singh'.
- Airways: Nearest airport is the Chandigarh airport that is about 75 kilometers away from the Anandpur Sahib. There are buses and taxis services available from airport to Anandpur Sahib.
- Railways: Nearest railway station is the Nangal station which is at a distance of about 21 kilometers from Anandpur Sahib. It takes only 20 minutes to reach the station from Anandpur Sahib.
- Road ways: There are state and luxury bus services available from Anandpur Sahib to all the major cities of India. There are many taxis and local buses available from bus station to all the gurdwaras in Anandpur Sahib.
Best time to visit:
Ideal time to visit Anandpur Sahib is in March as during this time one of the most favorite festivals of Sikhs is celebrate here, the Holla Mohalla.