Goa, the smallest state in India by area is a paradise for travelers and adventurers. It is one of the most happening holiday destinations in the entire world. Thousands of people visit the state in order to explore its hidden treasures. With two World Heritage Sites, Goa has become a favorite holiday destination of masses. Thickly forested regions developed into wildlife sanctuaries also fetch currencies to the Goa tourism sector. Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary, Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary, Dr. Salim Ali bird sanctuary, Cotigoa wildlife sanctuary are the important sanctuaries of the state.
If you like chirping of birds, roar of lion, mewing of cat, laugh of the jungle hyena, then Cotigoa sanctuary would be the right destination for you. It looks like a multi-storeyed forest with tall trees and beautiful species of plants and shrubs.
Area and Location:
It is located 60 km from the capital city of Panaji. Located in Canacona Taluka, in the south of Goa, the sanctuary is about 12 km from Chuadi the most important town of Cancacona. Established in the year 1969, this sanctuary stretches over 105 sq km and becomes the 2nd largest sanctuary of the state.
The sanctuary lies on the borders of Goa and Karnataka. It was established with the aim of preserving some vulnerable forest in the borders of these two states.
Important faunal species include reptiles and monkeys. However you would also find many tigers though their number has decreased in the recent past. White-eyed eagle, Gazelles, Sloth Bears, hyena, Porcupines, Panthers, Malabar crested eagle and woodpecker are also noticeable.
Moist deciduous forests are the main vegetation of Cotigoa wildlife sanctuary. Talpona River flows though the sanctuary adding charm to it. The fast-flowing river and the sunrays dazzling on the waves become simply awesome to view.
Best Time to Visit:
The months between October and March remains the best period to visit the sanctuary.
You can accommodate in the two-bedded suite located at Poinguinim which is 2 km away from the sanctuary.
How to Reach the Park?
- It lies at a distance of only 2 km from Poinguinim. The National Highway no: NH-17 connects the sanctuary to other parts of the state. So you can easily travel by buses from any corner of Goa.
- Dabolim at a distance of 80 km is the nearest airport. Canacona at a distance of 12 km is the nearest railhead.
Important Tourist Information:
- A 25 meters high watch tower is erected within the sanctuary. So you can watch the wildlife from this tower.
- If you like too much of adventure, then you can avail some rudimentary facilities like snake-proof camping sites, canvas tents offered by the Forest Department. You will also get some cots and mosquito-nets.
- You have to take a written permission for an overnight stay in the watchtower or the rest house of the Forest Department.
Spending some time in the Cotigoa wildlife sanctuary would be one of the memorable experiences of your life.