Karnataka is a paradise for the tourists. It houses a number of temples and shrines, beaches, hill station, forts, palaces, museums and galleries and last but not the least - forests and wildlife conservation. Dandeli is a beautiful town in Uttara Kannada district that is marked for its scenic beauty. But Dandeli is most famous for the Dandeli wildlife sanctuary that fetches a lot of currency to the Karnataka tourism.
The wildlife sanctuary is renowned as one of the largest wildlife sanctuaries in South India. It was declared as a Tiger Reserve in 2007.The richness of flora and fauna and beautiful wooded trails blended with the unspoilt beauty of the landscape creates a magical spell on the visitors and they fall in a trance.
So if you embark on a wildlife safari in the Karnataka, then this sanctuary should top your list. Read the following information to delve deep into the natural habitat of beautiful birds, rare wild animals and unusual reptiles.
Area and location:
The total coverage area of the sanctuary is 5729.07 sq km of land. But it spreads over 834.16 sq. km and becomes the second largest sanctuary in Karnataka.
It is located in Dandeli that is 485 km from Bangalore, the capital city of Karnataka, 125 km from Goa, 75 km from Hubli and 93 km from Karwar. Dandeli is in North Karnataka in the Western Ghats.
The Dandeli wildlife sanctuary is a splash of different colors and textures. You will find many deciduous and evergreen trees. It is also home to 279 varieties of birds and many wild animals and reptiles.
Watching the birds and animals in move is matter of luck. But if your luck is with you, you might happen to see Sloth Bear, Wild Dog, Panther, Tiger, Gaur, Spotted and Mouse Deer, Bison, Patridge, Civet Cat, Jackal, Deer, Bush Grail, Crocodiles, Langur, Giant Flying Squirrel, Elephant, Black Panther, the Indian Pangolin, the Malabar Giant Squirrel or Ratufa Indica etc. The unusual Black Panther is one of the most interesting attractions of the park.
Innumerable species of birds include Black Bulbul, Grey Jungle Fowl, Emerald Dove, Jungle Myna, Common Iora, Ashy Dromgo, Great Tit, House Swift, White Bellied Woodpecker, Scarlet Minvet, Large Cuckoo Shrike, Common Tailor Bird, Indian Roller, Greater Falmeback, Common Kingfisher, Mountain Imperial Pigeon, Magpie Robin, Golden Backed Woodpecker, Crested Serpent Eagle, etc.
Best time to visit:
The ideal time to visit the park would be from October to June. Summer and winter record temperature of 33 C and 26 C respectively.
For accommodation Kali Wilderness and Adventure Camp and Bison River Resort would be the best. You would get cottages which are completely furnished and have attached baths.
How to reach the park?
- You can take buses from Karwar that is 93 km from the sanctuary.
- The nearest airport is Belgaum.
- Dharwad is the nearest rail junction.
What else do you get?
- Other than the wild animals, there is a lot more to your journey. You would be offered wildlife safaris in jeeps, nature walks, coracle boat rides, bird watching, crocodile sighting trips, etc.
- It is very interesting to note that the sanctuary offers you a number of fun activities. You can go for white water rafting, kayaking and canoeing in the Kali River. If you want to do more, trekking, cycling and mountain biking are the other options for you. Take a break from your jungle safari in the resorts in Dandeli and then go for these activities.
- If you visit the sanctuary, you can also visit the attractions of Karwar and Hubli like Karwar Math, Kurmaqad Island, Sathodi and Mathodi Falls, Unkala Lake, Siddharoodha Math, Naganatha Temple etc. Even if you don't go there, you will get so many things in Dandeli that is very significant for eco-tourism and pilgrimage.
Experience a beautiful journey through the lush forests and woods of the Dandeli wildlife sanctuary. Steep slopes, sylvan surroundings, hilly forest terrain, meandering rivers and above all an awe-inspiring view of the wildlife galore- what more for an exciting journey?