The state of Andhra Pradesh is rightly known for its tourist attractions like monuments, mosques, forts, churches, caves, palaces, sanctuaries and national parks. The adequate environmental conditions of the state and the dense forests in the mountain meadows are favorable for the wildlife habitat. That is why, there are a number of national parks and wildlife sanctuaries. One of the most popular national parks is Sri Venkateshwara National Park.
SRI VENKATESHWARA Zoological Park
The name of the park is derived from the name of Lord Venkateshwara who is the presiding deity at Tirupati Temple. It appears that this park enjoys the grace of Lord Venkateshwara, the 'Lord of Seven Hills' and hence turns to be a veritable heaven.
Location and area:
Sri Venkateshwara National Park is one of the well-known sanctuaries in the country. It is situated in the 2 districts of Cuddapah and Chittor in Andhra Pradesh.
This sanctuary is located about 15km from Cuddapah, 20 km from Chandragiri and 10 km from Tirupati. Sprawling over an area of 353.62 sq. km, this park displays a wide variety of rare fauna, fascinating flora and wonderful waterfalls.
The amazing view of the park which is perched in the hilly terrain bounded by Seshachalam and Tirumala hills will allure you. This view will simply prove to be an irresistible temptation.
Whether you quench your thirst from the mesmerizing waterfalls like Talakona, Gunjana and Gundalakona or gaze at the beauty of the rugged slopes, sheer ridges and deep valleys, this park is sure to make your trip all the more exciting and interesting.
Wildlife and flora:
Established in 1989 this national park displays a wide plethora of birds and wild animals. This park has more than 1500 plant species and 100 species of birds.
- Plants: The dry deciduous mixed type of forest in the park is ideal for plants like Shorea, Tamba Jalari, Tella Karakkaya, Shorea Talura, Sandalwood, Gymnosperm, Cycas Beddomei, etc. You will be surprised at the abundant flora and foliage.
- Birds: Birdwatchers can look forward to a good time in this park which displays birds like Patridges, Crested Serpant Eagle, Kingfishers, Ashy Crowned Finch Lark, Quail, Indian Roller, White bellied Woodpecker, etc.
- Animals and mammals: A wide variety of fauna includes Hyena, Tiger, Jackal, Sloth Beer, Wild Dogs, Civet, Back Buck, Rare Golden Gecko, Wild boar, Flying Lizards, Spotted Deer, Nilgai, Leopard, Indian Giant Squirrel etc.
Best time to visit:
This Park is open all throughout the year. But the best time to visit is during the months of November to January.
Where to stay:
You can choose any of the luxury and regular hotels in Tirupati according to your preferences. You can accommodate in Kalyan Residency, Forest Rest House, Hotel Bhimas Residency, Hotel Sindhuri Park, Ramee Hotel Guestline, Rajampet and Forest Rest House.
How to get there:
- By air: The nearest airport is Tirupati. You can travel to Tirupati from Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, etc.
- By road: As mentioned earlier, this part is just 10 km from Tirupati. So you can hire an auto rickshaw or a cab according to your choice. If you want to travel to the park from Chennai, hire a cab. It will take 3- 3½ hrs journey to reach the park.
- By rail: The nearest railhead is at Tirupati. The nearest railway station is Hyderabad.
The park enjoys rainfall during the north-east monsoon. The average temperature ranges from 15 º to 40º C.
Having read this article, we think you shouldn't delay in enjoying the glory of Mother Nature as bestowed in Sri Venkateshwara National Park.