Tamil Nadu is one of the major states in the south- eastern part of the Indian peninsular. It is a sought after travel destination and has been ranked as the second most popular travelling state in India, thus, contributing a soaring economy to our tourism industry. Known for its exquisite pilgrimage locations and rich cultural heritage, this place is sure to steal your heart whenever you visit. Another attractive aspect of this state is its beautiful beaches and hill stations. Apart from many other interesting extravaganzas, you will be bound to fall in love with the traditional music, art, dance and food of this place.
About Tamil Nadu
This state is a part of one of the four Dravidian states, where the Chola, Pandya and the Chera dynasties existed. Later, it fell in the trap of the British rule for a long time. With India's independence, the state was a part of the Madras presidency and was named as Madras then. Now known as Tamil Nadu, it is surrounded by the states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and the Union Territory of Pondicherry. Being in the extreme south of our country, it faces the Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Mannar and Palk Strait.
A highly populated Tamil Nadu is fast growing and is truly urbanized. Chennai is the capital and largest city in this state. The different industrial sectors, including the travel and tourism contribute a chunk to the Indian economical growth. This land is blessed with traditional, cultural and natural resources. A traveller can visit hill stations, temples, Churches, beaches, waterfalls, national parks, dynasties, etc., to make their journey memorable. Comprising of some of the major cities like Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore, Tiruchirapalli, Palani, Tanjore and Mahabalipuram to name a few, this state is so vast that a one-time visit will fall short to cover all places with its unique spots.
People & Religion
The people of Tamil Nadu mostly speak their local language Tamil. Knowing Tamil or English is an advantage if you are visiting this place. They are highly religious and love to follow their old traditions to a great extent. The metropolitan cities cover the largest section of people, apart from the villages and towns. People of varied religion reside here with a major concentration of Hindus, Christians and Muslims.
Climate & Season
If you prefer to be there in a pleasant weather, then you must visit this state in between the months of October to March. This place is tropical in nature and thus, experiences a hot and humid climate mostly. The winter season from November to February is relaxing, when the temperature is a bit cool. The summers are extremely hot and humid with temperature rising above 40 degrees and above. Occasional spells of rain are seen between October and December only.
Places to Visit
- Cities: Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore, Tuticorin, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tanjore, Kanchipuram, Mahabalipuram, Kanyakumari, Vellore etc., are some of the important tourist spots.
- Hill Stations: Ooty, Kodaikanal, Yercaud, Coonoor, Kolli hills, Udagamandalam, Namakkal, Pudukkotai, Yelagiri, Nilgiri Hills, etc., will take your breath away with its beauty and calmness. If you are an adventurous person, you can enjoy trekking, golf, fishing, gliding and so on.
- Waterfalls: The rushing waterfalls in this state will surely woo you to play with the water or enjoying bathing under it. The best waterfalls you can find here are the Hogenakkal (Niagara of Asia), Catherine, Courtallam, Suruli, Thirparappu, etc.
- Beaches: The beaches in Tamil Nadu look beautiful with its blue water. Marina beach in Chennai is the famous and longest beach adjoining the Bay of Bengal. Kanyakumari is a world famous spot at the southern tip of India, wherein the three major water bodies of Arabian sea, Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean meet. Other beaches you can hit to view the span of water, sunrise and sunset are Elliot beach in Besant Nagar, Poompuhar beach and Mahabalipuram beach to name a few.
- Places of Pilgrimage: Tamil Nadu is popular as a pilgrimage site for devotees. It has innumerable number of temples and churches in the state. Meenakshi Temple in Madurai is a popular tourist destination in the world. Brihadeeswarar Temple at Thanjavur, Murugan Temple in Rameswara, Vivekakanda Rock Memorial and Kumari Amman Temple at Kanyakumari, Nataraja temple at Chidambaram, Murugan Temple at Palani Hills, etc., are some other sites. All these temples have a great significance of the Dravidian culture and inspiration. They have a common similarity in the sculptured towers called Gopurams. The architectures, sculptures, idols, images, etc., are considered to be a treasure for the Indian heritage. Apart from these, one must visit the beautiful churches of St. George's Cathedral, St. Mary's Church, Basilica of San Thome, etc.
- Sanctuaries: Mudumalai National Park, Vallanadu Black Buck Sanctuary, Indira Gandhi National Park, Crocodile Park, Kalakkadu Wildlife Sanctuary, Manner Marine National Park, etc., can be visited during any season.
Food, Art & Festivals
Tamil Nadu's cuisine is extremely unique and delicious. Vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes are prepared with each region's special touch. Dosa, idly, sambhar, vada, coconut chutney, uttapam, rasam, etc. are their favourite recipes. Dishes with chicken, mutton and fish come in variant cooking style, flavor and spices. Chettinad recipes are very popular recipes in Tamil Nadu. Sweet and spicy/salty pongal is a traditional and main food prepared with rice and lentil during the festival of Pongal.
This state is also known for its art and musical aura with its Bharatnatyam dance and Carnatic music. Famous musicians and dancers come from this state and are well known for their talent in art and music forms.
Tamil Nadu is a wonderful place to visit and explore. You must plan your next holiday here to experience a mix of traditional, cultural and modern India.
- States, Union Territories
- Pilgrimages and Holy Places
- India Metropolitan Cities
- India Monumental Heritage
- India Sanctuaries
- Indian Trains
- India Cities
- Indian Hotels And Resorts
- India Tourist Maps
- India Exotic Beaches
- India Hill Stations
- Other Tourist Destinations
- India Theme Wallpapers
- Indian History In short
- India Travel Tips
- India With A Glance
- Indian Festivals
- Languages of India
- Indian Cuisine
- Religions of India